Monday, May 23, 2005

Feeling a Bit Alone

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places but I've found that there are not too many blogs out there who are talking about text mining and unstructured data visualization.

Part of me thinks this has more to do with the quality of searching across blogs than it does with the availability of the content.

Technorati and Intelliseek's Blogpulse offer pretty comprehensive searchable indicies of the Blogosphere, but I never walk away feeling the most relevant blogs are coming to the top. Bloglines is talking about a new offering in this space. But there is no Google of blogs yet.

Hmmm. Why isn't Google the Google of blogs? You certainly get blog hits back with your regular search, but blogs are real-time discussions and a search engine like Google is mixing them in with all the other sites it's updating. Not sure what the conventional wisdom is right now on how frequently Google reindexes "the entire" Web. Certainly some pages are intraday, but most are probably closer to weekly or monthly. Too slow to work for Blogs.

I'm keeping my eyes on
Google Labs. Inevitably, there will be a blog search coming along. Won't there?

No comments: