Thursday, September 08, 2005

Travel Boards Should Monitor the Blogosphere

I got a call last week at home from a marketing company doing research. My guess, after going through the questions, is that it was commissioned by the Maine Department of Travel and Tourism and that they are working on a new slogan to attract people to vacation in Maine. They asked me to describe Maine and the other states in the area with adjectives. Then they read various slogans to me to get my reaction. It seems they were looking for keywords that would attract people to Maine (rocky coast, forests, kayaking, stargazing? etc.)

It struck me that travel boards would benefit from tools that can monitor the Blogosphere to see what words people are using to describe their vacations.

(It also strikes me that Maine does need a new slogan. "It must be Maine"? What the heck does that mean.)

No comments: